Sunday, December 20, 2009

Life Isn't Fair

I have become very familiar with the phrase "Life isn't fair". Anyone with multiple children can probably relate to the scenario where one child may feel slighted if they aren't given the exact same thing as their siblings, whether it be a material possesion or just the amount of time spent with their mom. Their natural inclination is to feel (less worthy??) if they don't get the exact same number of cookies as Johnny, despite the fact that they might not have been hungry in the first place. As a mother who wants the best for her children, I consciously try to teach them to recognize their personal needs and what is good for them instead of just expecting to get what all the others get. What good does being "fair" really do for our children (or anyone for that matter)? I believe it teaches them that they deserve something that they are not entitled to....something they didn't earn....and possibly something they might not even want. And this all for the sake of being "fair"? As far as I'm concerned, I believe the sooner they learn and accept that life isn't fair, the happier they will be.

The reality is that each of us will have different opportunities and experiences in life. If life was fair then everyone would be the same....same house...same car...same amount of love, same game of cards, same number of brothers and sisters....need I go on? So, In a nutshell...."Life is not fair". I shall embrace this and step down off my soapbox now.....

1 comment:

  1. I think I have read this somewhere.... Maybe my new role in this world is a "muse".

    ReplyDelete