Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Weekend with Kids and Gracie in Northern Michigan

I've long since felt a calling from the North. After living in Traverse City for a year while starting my pharmaceutical sales career, I fell in love with Northern Michigan. Nowadays, it brings a sense of calm, a sense of home. After all, it was here that I started to discover myself after a traumatic divorce. The peninsulas and bay offered tranquility and driving past orchards with roadside fruit stands were consistently distracting and tempting. Lasting friendships were made and are still cherished today.

My kids, my dog and I answered the call last weekend. We set out Saturday morning to escape the rain down here. The kids entertained themselves watching movies while I tried to unwind from the stress of the earlier week. Our plan was to try to find a cheap hotel with a pool in the Sleeping Bear Dunes area and to go fishing. Unfortunately, rain dampened any hopes of outdoor activities; and finding a hotel with a pool and pet access proved more difficult than expected. We finally decided to head toward Traverse City and the plethora of hotels.

The first hotel we checked out was far too expensive and didn't allow pets. Sitting in the parking lot of that hotel on the corner of South Airport Road and US 31 is where the fun begins. While the kids are playing in the lawn of the hotel, I try to locate a place to reside for the evening via cell phone and local directory. Obviously distracted, I didn't notice that Gracie, our 4-year old Golden Retriever with a knack for escape, had gotten out of the van. She proceeded to run around the back of the hotel as I noticed her tail disappear around the corner through my rear-view mirror. Chloe is still strapped in her car seat in the car while Morgan, Chandler and Carleigh are chasing the elusive fluffy red Houdini. I join the chase as Gracie stops traffic close to the busy intersection, cars honking with passengers gawking and scowling. A kind woman and her daughter stop to help in the chase as I return to the van to tend to Chloe. Fortunately, she is unaware of the drama unraveling around her as I drive the car across the parking lot to where the other kids are still in pursuit of our beloved canine. Jumping out of the car, I advise Morgan to go back and sit with her sister while I assist the others in the catch. Who knew we'd be fishing for dogs? Our bait proved unworthy as she fled across the street to water the wildflowers. Eventually, the daughter of the kind woman who stopped to assist coaxed our "best friend" to return where we all heaved a sigh of relief. I gratefully thanked the women for stopping to help as Chandler surprisingly looks down at his feet to discover a large petoskey stone. Now, we have a special memento as we will always remember that time in Traverse City when...

Sounds crazy, I know...but the drama doesn't end there. Upon returning to the van, I find Morgan in tears, obviously very upset. I assume her demeanor is a result of the potential loss of her canine friend and I proceed to try to sooth her fear. Through tears and frustration, she explains that she thought Chloe was kidnapped and the car stolen. In the mass confusion immediately following Gracie's escape, I forgot to tell Morgan that I had moved the van across the parking lot; she had returned to our original parking location to take care of her sister only to find the van and Chloe missing. I can't imagine how she must have felt, but was deeply sympathetic as we together picked some beautiful flowers growing wild and free in the ditch.

Crisis adverted, we finally located a hotel with pet access and suited up for a dip in the pool. Sunday morning sunshine greeted us as we took advantage of continental breakfast and a quick swim in the pool before checking out. My longtime favorite, Good Harbor Coffee House, provided delicious scones for my freezer and we also toured the beautiful Munson Manor before leaving town and heading for the peninsula. I was grateful for the brief visit with the talented tour guide and my beloved friend, Michelle.

Our time in Fishtown was brief since Morgan and Chandler deemed it unworthy of casting. Now I'm no fishing expert, but I assume the nickname "Fishtown" must mean something, so I try to encourage the children to stay and explore. I lost this battle and we continue driving south to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park, where the kids are excited to get another stamp in their National Parks Passport. I wait at the bottom of the dune with Gracie, securely leashed, watching my kids ascend. Regretfully, I realize I never told Chloe to run down slowly as I watch her tumble head over heals as she gathers far too much speed. As I run up the face of the dune I am assisted again by two strangers who are kind enough to gather my daughter in their arms until I arrive, more than slightly winded. Carefully, I wipe the sand from her eyes and mouth as I try to sooth her with hugs and kisses. All is forgotten as we near the bottom where Morgan, Chandler, Carleigh and Gracie wait to ascend once again....this time with Mom to hold their hands.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite an adventure. It was an enjoyable story though. I can remember running down those sand dunes ending up head over feet most of the way down. The message that I got from your blog though was you took several mishaps and made the best of them and that is a beautiful thing Chandra. I love people how take what is given them and make the most of it instead of sitting back and complaining about it instead. Keep your chin up through the bad times and you will be rewarded in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is when the best memories are made. At the time it seems stressful but looking back you will think of it fondly.

    ReplyDelete